Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Reflection

At the end of a year, do you look back on the last 12 months and reflect on the events of the year? I thought this was something that everyone did but it has recently come to my attention that I was wrong! Two of my favorite people, my husband and my sister, both think there's no point in looking back. And I see their point, looking back can be hurtful and it's easy to get stuck in the past but I also think there is value in reflection.

The way this whole thing came about was I had told them that this past year was the worst year of my life. And yes, I could get stuck in that and wallow in it. But I'm not going to. I'm going to learn from it and look forward to the next year to come! 

For instance, I started to give a recap of the past year and in doing so realized it wasn't all THAT bad. Perhaps because I got a full 7 hours of sleep last night. ha! Things look so different through well rested eyes as opposed to sleep deprived ones. And honestly, I think that's been a lot of the problem. Me and lack of sleep do not get along. I know plenty of people who do it, whose kids are equally as bad of sleepers as mine are, and they seem fine but me, not so much. I'm a wreck, an emotional crazy lady when I don't get a half way decent night's sleep (meaning a solid 4 hour block). And I had a LOT of those last year. We expanded our family which is truly a delight but we also have a two year old who is trying to cope with not being the baby any more. I had melanoma and had to have it removed. Dealing with blended family stuff. Tween. Still newly married but with two little ones, can't seem to find time to connect. All things that aren't terrible but add a severe lack of sleep and everything to me was just miserable. Just being honest. And some people may not like me saying it and some people may not like to hear it but you know what? I say it not to complain but to encourage you.



Whatever it is you are facing, whatever last year brought or this year has in store, hang in there. Keep your head high,

I just started reading the book Glory Days by Max Lucado and also got the study guide and just half way through the first session, I'm learning so much! The past is important, it is a part of who I am and it is part of my story but I am moving forward. The past isn't going to keep me from that! God has promised me victory and abundant joy and I am chasing that, not wallowing in the past!

Picture of my computer screen taken while watching the Glory Days session 1 video.










No comments:

Post a Comment