Thursday, October 16, 2014

Dinner and Dessert


Well, I went to do a new post and realized that this post from May was never published!

This spring, my friend's mom had a heart attack and had to have quadruple bypass surgery. She also has diabetes and my friend (who was staying with them) doesn't like any cheese. So, when I signed up to take them dinner one night, I had my work cut out for me! After a quick google search, I came up with an excellent stuffed pepper recipe.

Stuffed Peppers Before Going in the Oven

Notice there are two pans- I figured as long as I was making it, we might as well eat it, too. I would cook like this every day if I could but my family wouldn't have it. No way.

And, as luck or fate or whatever you want to call it would have it, Dan didn't eat all day that day so he called me on the way home and said "tonight's not the night we're having the healthy dinner is it?" I laughed because I had thought earlier that it was a bad day to feed him a light, healthy dinner. Off to the grocery store I went for fixin's for cheeseburgers and potato salad.

We had the peppers the following night (ours with cheese on top). I loved the peppers and my friend and her parents did, too. Dan didn't hate them and my friend's 2 year old liked them. For those of you who have kids, you know that's always a bonus.

And, as  a bonus recipe for you (not necessarily diabetic friendly because it's chocolate but heart healthy because there's no egg or oil) one of my favorites. And again, the kiddos like it!

 
 
Mix one box of chocolate cake mix and one can of pumpkin puree together, add 1`cup of chocolate chips. Drop into muffin tins (sprayed with cooking spray or lined with paper liners) and bake at 375 until done. I don't remember how long I cooked them for, maybe start checking them at 15 minutes. Easy peasy and oh so good!! Eat it like it is or, for a much less healthy alternative, add some vanilla ice cream and hot fudge and/or caramel. YUM!
 
The post I was going to do for today was also a dinner recipe and a recipe for pumpkin oatmeal bars so I guess I just bought myself a couple days to get that post done. I think I'll go take a nap now.
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment