Saturday, October 26, 2013

Zero Spend


Not too long ago, I came across a zero spend challenge. They were a week into it at that time, though, and we have things like Christmas coming up so I thought "eh, I'll wait until January and do it then." I've been convicted lately, though, about my spending habits- how I spend my time and how I spend my money. This morning, while reading a blog post "What to neglect to have a rich life," I was convicted once again. I do not think that I spend frivolously but I'm sure that I buy more unnecessary stuff than I realize. I know I spend more time on the internet than I should. And, being bombarded day in and day out with pictures and statuses of vacations and new vehicles, Pinterest boards of clothing and home improvements doesn't help matters.

In the month of November, we celebrate Thanksgiving. All month long, friends in years past have infiltrated my news feed on Facebook with daily thanks. But not this year. I have decided that November- the month of thankfulness- is the perfect time to spend zero AND to take a break from social media, allowing me to focus on the people in my life and be thankful for what I have and content where I'm at.

So, here are my guidelines:

NO SPENDING except for one small project I'm already working on (more on that in December, when it's done), an overnight trip to Indiana next weekend which we already had planned, and groceries. By groceries, I mean necessities- I bought this at the grocery store today but well, neither was a necessity ;)


NO SOCIAL MEDIA. This means no Facebook, no reading blogs, no blogging. I will keep a paper journal about how this journey is going and will post an update once a week, on Monday morning.

What will I do instead of shopping, Facebooking, and Blogging? I will start my Bible study and read my Bible more. I will spend more time in prayer and more time with my family, maybe do some crafts and other things I've been meaning to but "haven't had time". Maybe my bed skirt that has been crumpled up in my closet for a month because it needs to be shortened will actually get fixed and put back on the bed.


Also, not only will I not be bringing more into the house, I'm going to work on decluttering and purging. Five things a day. Ah! It should be a whole different home come December 1st!

Now, you may think I'm crazy. And maybe I am a little. But I am actually really excited about this (and yes, Dan is on board) so  please don't judge and please, if you don't want to hear about it or encourage me, then don't read my updates. If you'd like to join me, comment below and let me know!


No comments:

Post a Comment