Thursday, July 11, 2013

New Fitness Focus



I was doing some blog browsing this morning and came across this wonderful post about being lean. In the post, Molly asks "How lean do you want to be, and will you sacrifice what it takes to get there?" Whoa. Good question.

I've always strived to be lean. It's never happened. I get frustrated and angry, let it control my mood, and go to extremes to try and achieve leanness. But after reading that question and thinking on it for just a moment, I had an a-ha! moment. I have never achieved it because I've never been willing to make the sacrifice it would take to get there. Imagine that.

Then I gave it a little more thought, asking myself "so what sacrifices are you and are you not willing to make?"

I AM willing to SCHEDULE my workouts. They are a part of my routine, just like making dinner and vacuuming the carpets.

I AM willing to work out 4-5 times a week and to give it all I've got.

I AM willing to eat fairly healthily by eating smaller, more frequent meals and not skipping meals. Also by drinking more water.

I am NOT willing to be a food Nazi, counting calories and denying myself treats on occasion.

And since food is 80% of the battle and exercise only 20%, therein lies the reason I will never be super lean.

I like to work out and I've always made it part of my routine to ensure that it gets done. I also like food. I like to eat out and I like to indulge sometimes. I'm not willing to give that up.

I've had my epiphany. Now to come to terms with it.

From the post on being lean, I stumbled on this post about fitspo and how awful it is. And you know what, I totally agree. I sometimes find it inspiring but more often than not, it discourages me because I then start to compare myself and push myself to achieve something that I'm never going to achieve which bums me out because I can never reach my goal.

Jen also poses this question: "When do we come to peace with the fact that being healthy doesn't necessarily mean we'll be really lean, and being really lean doesn't mean we're healthy?"

I actually was pretty lean two years ago. I loved to admire the outline of my muscles in my arms when I was blow drying my hair. All of the clothes that are currently too snug on me were falling off of me. I weighed 20 pounds less than what I did last year when I got pregnant for Emmett, 35 pounds less than I do currently. I wasn't healthy. I wasn't sleeping, I wasn't eating, I was working out a lot, and had other unhealthy habits.

My new focus is to let go of the idea of being ultra lean, to be healthy, eat as healthy as possible, and workout often.

What are your fitness goals? What are you willing to give up or not willing to give up in your quest to reach these goals?



 

No comments:

Post a Comment