Monday, January 21, 2013

To ENcourage, not to DIScourage

My oldest turned nine last week and I had a couple of what I consider pretty big moments in the events surrounding his birthday.

I am NOT a very creative person. I find all kind of things I'd like to do but pulling them off is usually less than pretty. I don't know... maybe it usually turns out okay but definitely not above mediocre. Of course, this is MY view of it. Others, I think see it differently. So, I'm going to share a bit of what I did and what I learned from it. As you read, though, remember that this is to encourage and not to discourage!!! I read so many blogs that leave me feeling "less than" and quite defeated and that is NOT what I want people to take away from this blog!

First, he wanted to take a treat to school for his birthday. So, one day I was browsing Pinterest and he saw this pin and declared that he wanted to take these Cake Batter Rice Krispie Treats. Only he wanted them in a ball shape. ((deep breath)) Ok, we can do this... So, I bought the ingredients for Rice Krispies and some sprinkles and chocolate. (He was none the wiser that there was actually supposed to be cake batter in the recipe and that I chose to omit that!) I made up a batch of Krispies, stirred in some sprinkles, sprayed the boys' and husband's hands with cooking spray, and let them make up the balls. After they were cooled, I drizzled with chocolate, added more sprinkles, and put them in some cute cupcake liners, set them in a baggie and tied a ribbon on top. So easy and while I'm the worlds sloppiest, gloppiest chocolate drizzler, they turned out pretty good looking (and tasted good, too!)

 
 
Most definitely not as awesome looking as some I saw on Pinterest but he was happy and we all had fun doing it and really, it's THOSE things that matter. Who cares if I think they're just mediocre?
 
The other thing I did was make a collage of football pictures for him. He had wanted a poster of himself but the photographer was charging an arm and a leg for that so I decided to use my legs, go to the store for some supplies, and use my hands attached to my arms to assemble this:
 
 
 
Again, nothing spectacular, it took me all of five minutes to put together and he was absolutely THRILLED about it.
 
Like I said before, I wanted to write this post to encourage my readers. So here's what I took away from these experiences and what I want to share with you: We are all fearfully and wonderfully made and our heavenly Father loves us just the way we are. We should not try to be as good as so and so or do things the same as the next person. We are all different and for very good reason. It's good, I think, to look to others for encouragement and inspiration but to also not be defeated when we're not as good as them or can't pull off the same feat at the same level they did.
 
Craftiness is NOT my strong point, I can show you a bazillion people who are better at crafting than I am but you know what, I shouldn't let that stop me from doing things like this once in a while. I just need to make it simpler, make it fun, and be happy with the result. After all, what good does it do to make a child's birthday treat or present and feel stressed and bummed out over it?
 
Also, it's really not about ME. Who cares what I think about these two things I did? It was for my son's birthday, I was doing it to show love and service to him and glorify God in the process. It is my hope that this is what was accomplished. In whatever you do, do it for God's glory and to show love to others and you can't go wrong! (A lesson that's taken me a long time to learn but I think I'm finally getting it!)
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment