Thursday, June 7, 2012

Quitter? Maybe. Indecisive? For Sure.

I committed months ago to do this event called the Highland Games, a heavy events sort of competition with Scottish background (stone put, caber toss, heavy bag for height, heavy weight for height and distance...) I've been practicing; it's a lot of fun and I'm doing pretty good in most events.

See that there stone fly?

And that bag, I heaved into the air with that there pitchfork.
This is probably my favorite event.

I even bought a kilt to wear. And it's purple! When I committed to it, however, I was just in the beginning stages of planning the wedding and we didn't have the date nailed down yet and I had NO IDEA how insanely busy I would be getting the house ready for us to move in. Seriously, the weekend before the wedding is going to be serious crunch time. And it's the weekend of the Highland Games.

This is my sister trying to pick up the caber. Yes, 16' tall and we have to balance it in our clasped hands then flip it end for end. This is one I won't be participating in and my sister already decided to drop out completely because she didn't want to wreck her body.

So, I'm stuck. I don't know what to do. I'm not really letting anyone down by not going. My coach and girlfriend who is also participating (and has a matching kilt) might be a tad disappointed but it's an individual competition so as far as the competition goes, it's not hurting anyone if I don't go. And at the same time, I don't want to disappoint my coach and my friend.

If I do participate, that's one whole Saturday of crunch time that I cannot help with the house which means disappointing my fiancee and probably a lot of extra stress/ tension between the both of us. Plus, I can return the $60 kilt I bought that will most likely only be worn one time. But it's a KILT and I was going to wear it. It would be FUN!

So, as it stands right now, I guess what I should do is be honest with my coach and friend and hope they're understanding and still love me when it's done. BUT I'm not 100% sold on that yet. Stay tuned for my final decision and the outcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment